Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Maleficent (2014)


A few days ago I went to see Maleficent, I had been waiting for this movie since it looked really promising and I LOVE all about the princesses and the classics… And it didn’t disappoint me. I actually went to see it a second time the same week, which I rarely do. As always, I’ll try to keep this as spoiler-free as possible ;)

I think it was an amazing idea to change the main focus of the story and show what the villain’s life could’ve been like.

The movie starts with young Maleficent, she’s an orphan fairy who lives in the Moors (beautiful place by the way, now it’s one of my dreams to go live there thank you very much) and one day she meets a young male human, Stefan. Well you obviously know where this leads; they become real good friends, then lovers blah blah blah, then there’s treason because humans are awful blah blah and badass Maleficent is born :) weeh!

What I really liked about this movie was that it does show us a lot about the way humans behave and how different we all can be; of course there are a lot of bad people out there, but that doesn’t mean we’re all the same. Also, Maleficent is portrayed as the villain, everyone thinks she’s a bad fairy who doesn’t have a heart… when she’s actually the kindest of all and it made me see how often this happens in real life… I’ve met quite a lot of people who go around making jokes and hugging everyone they know, people just start assuming they’re very nice and warm, but that’s not the case most of the time. And then you see people like Maleficent, who act tough and remain distant, but most of them are actually some of the people with the biggest hearts and the ones who are going to be there for you when you need someone. It’s really interesting, how different we all are and what perception does, people just like to assume things based on the big picture, when they should start caring about the little details.

Yes, I know I got all philosophical and got into a where-do-we-come-from kind of mood, but that’s just what I do ^-^.

Another thing I loved was the little (big) twist it had at the end, people say it reminded them of Frozen and yes, it is similar. But it’s obvious Disney is just trying to change the game, many complain about movies always portraying women as submissive and how they always dream of finding their prince charming, so when they do, they get married right away. I know we consider it dumb now, but stop to think for a while… have you ever read period books or watched some adaptations? Things were like that in the past, ladies had to behave, wait to find a husband and keep a reputation so they would get an offer, and if they refused a man it wasn’t considered to be proper and other men would not want to make an offer to her then. Snow White and some other classics are a little old, so we have to understand this whole idea, and it’s pretty understandable that things are changing, so they didn’t “pull a Frozen” here in Maleficent, but we’re now teaching little girls that we’re living in a different era. And like I said, it’s all really about perspective and education, I grew up watching and LOVING the classics, but I never considered myself to be less than a man or that I needed a man to be happy (or that it’s just ok to marry one right after meeting him haha).

I don’t know if this is what you were expecting to read when you saw the title, but I consider Maleficent to be a beautiful movie with a lot of values, even if it’s full of magical creatures and what not and you don’t think it’s that serious.

And by the way… can I just get the people who were in charge of Angelina’s look, oh my GOD! Even if it’s obvious she got a bit of digital manipulation, I want those makeup artists. Now.

Have you seen Maleficent? Did you like it?

Thank you for reading! Bye-Bye!

30 comments:

  1. Lovely post hun:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you tried the game?!
    its soo good, and updates recently so theres more levels!

    MAJOTRON.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noo, I haven't! :O I guess I should now!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Carla - I just saw Maleficent this afternoon, and I one hundred percent agree! It was amazing!!! I think this new version showed fantastic insight and had such significant morals compared to the original. I absolutely loved Angelina Jolie as the hero, when I had always thought of Maleficent as the villain. Thanks for the awesome review :)

    Brit

    britanypowell.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they did an amazing job! I loved Angelina Jolie as well, she was perfect as Maleficent!
      Thank you so much for your comment! ^-^

      Delete
  5. I always enjoy a movie review! I have heard so much about this movie it makes me want to see it as well! If you had a moment could you check out my blog:
    http://simplyeasierliving.blogspot.com/
    I also just followed you on Bloglovin if you could do the same!
    Thanks
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see it! It's really good :) and thank you for reading my post!!
      Your blog is amazing btw, I'll follow you gladly.

      Delete
  6. I nominated you for The Liebster Award :) http://fizahern.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/liebster-award.html x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! This seems fun, I'll post about it as soon as I can :D

      Delete
  7. Ughh thanks for the idea! :) btw I really like your blog design :)

    Berry The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I really wanted to see this film, but still haven't got round to it! :(

    Style Sunrise

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm pretty sure you'll like it :)

      Delete
  9. I haven't seen this yet but I have heard many good things! I enjoyed reading your post about it :)

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this post its true what you say we really shouldn't take people at face value we have to really get to know a person before we can even begin to make a judgement and like you said sometimes those who are the most distant are really the most kind warm hearted people! x
    Great post hun

    Ps- Thank you so much for your lovely words on my blog, was very sweet of you to leave such a lovely comment! x

    Jess x
    www.momentsofbeautywars.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it's sad how often I've seen it happen, people need to start seeing this and get to know a person better before making assumptions :(
      Not at all! Your blog is really amazing ^-^

      Delete
  11. Great review ! Thanks for sharing !

    Madeline | Its a Mads Mads World

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked the film a lot, the graphics of it were stunning. I think it was a shame that the plot was quite predictable in parts but I loved seeing the other side of Maleficent :)

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the graphics were truly amazing!
      I loved seeing this side of Maleficent, too :)

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the betrayal part made me cry actually... i can relate much to that =)
    nice post sis =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...