Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Title: Obsidian (Lux #1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy
Publication: November 29, 2011

My Rating: 2/5

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring… until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something… unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.


Ok, I've been wanting to read this book for a long time. The Lux series is very well known and one of those series I thought I could really enjoy.

But man was I wrong about that.

I will admit that I enjoyed reading about the aliens, and that war that was going on between the lux and the arum. That was pretty cool and original, aliens are not that common in this book genre, as much as vampires and werewolves are. And Katy, the main character, is very likeable. My problem was Daemon Black.

Daemon is a douchebag the first time he meets Katy, that's for sure. And he keeps behaving like that for a very long time. I then think to myself that maybe something big will happen and he'll start being nice to her, or after she finds out he's an alien... But nope. Still a jerk. A jerk throughout the whole book!!


I could not stand the guy. It was so bad that, even for a moment, I... (and wait for this)... was actually praying for a love triangle.


I know, I know. I usually don't like love triangles, but man, I needed one here! Even if she ended up with Daemon, I would've still been able to see another guy being nice to Katy, for a change. At least she's a smart girl and stays away from him, because she knows she can do so much better than that, she deserves a guy who treats her well. Go her.

His twin sister Dee is a very nice girl, but, I mean, she's the one to blame for this whole mess, right? I think she should've thought a bit more about Katy's feelings and her safety, instead of only her own, but at least she's not like Daemon.

Seriously, I could understand why he was being a jerk to her at first, he was, after all, trying to protect his sister and his people. But come on! Did he have to behave like that all the time? Especially using his on-and-off girlfriend to make Katy mad... Or even after she went through such traumatic experiences!! This girl was almost killed more than once!

There's a bonus scene from his POV and... he actually seemed like a very nice guy!! Where was that guy during the book, huh? Huh??

I'm not sure I want to keep reading this series. I read blurb for the second book and it caught my attention a little bit, but I don't know, I don't think I can put up with this guy any longer.



Have you read this book? What did you think of it?

Thank you for reading! Bye-Bye! 

9 comments:

  1. I love reading reviews of books I have also read, especially if I haven't exactly been able to enjoy the book either. And I know a lot of people do love this series. I thought it was just too much of a bad copy of Twilight for my liking, except all you need to do is switch out the words vampire and werewolf for demons and the government hunting them down. Which is sad but... it was impossible for me to see it any other way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it reminded me of Twilight! Haha. Although Edward was actually nice to Bella. This Daemon guy is just awful :/

      Delete
  2. Awe sorry you didn't care for this one. I've read the first three in the series and I love it so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I saw that you've been really enjoying this series, too bad it wasn't to my liking :(

      Delete
  3. Oh this looks like a great book! Another for my TBR
    xx

    www.sakuranko.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it, most people do like it though haha

      Delete
  4. Oh no! This series had such hype around it. Sorry you didn't like it. :(

    I haven't read these books yet, but I've had Obsidian on my Kindle forever!

    Dena @ Batch of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Most people love this series, I'm just part of the minority here haha :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...